Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on a laptop (but wait, the complications
To: Arlen Cuss <acuss@optusnet.com.au>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/10/2003 20:19:06
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:37:50 +1100
"Arlen Cuss" <acuss@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Hi.
> I intend to install NetBSD onto my laptop, and I have a few questions ...
>
> a) Is it even possible to install onto a laptop (specialized hardware,
> etc. etc.)?
> b) Does a unix environment need to be installed before NetBSD goes on (eg,
> linux, etc.)
> c) There is no method of transport that I know of for files. I have
> downloaded the files from the FTP (/netbsd-1.6-release/tar/src...) and
> extracted them to a folder on my desktop computer, however: my laptop has
> no network port, has a disk drive, but no cd-rom.
>
> Thanks for your time.

You could just buy a cheap usb or pcmcia ethernet for under 25 dollars US.
You'll probably want to get one anyway, since a computer without a net
connection is like a book without pictures. [to very loosely paraphase
Alice]

Alternatively, if the drive can be removed easily, you can use a 2.5" to
3.5" ide drive adapter to make the drive accessible from your desktop pc.
Assuming that your desktop pc is runing netbsd, you can manually install
netbsd onto the drive. Alternatively, you can use the boot floppies to
install netbsd, paying special attention so as not to accidentally install
on the wrong disk!

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing

"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm
beginning to believe it." - Clarence S. Darrow