Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on a laptop (but wait, the complications grow)...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Beaker (aka Jeff W) <beaker@myrealbox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/10/2003 13:27:23
Arlen Cuss wrote:
 >> ...use `split'
>Yes, I considered that, but the ISO is huge! 540mb splits roughly into
> 375 floppies =P.
The three required .tgz (kernel, base, etc) files aren't nearly so big
and could probably be done ok this way.
Alternately, if you can find the right IDE adapter, you could pull the
laptop drive, attach to desktop PC and transfer files and/or do the
fdisk/disklabel/fsck/newfs thing and untar the whole shabang on it.

>> Another is to use a serial connection, nullmodem, and SLIP.
>Hm. I actually tried to transfer files using "Direct Cable Connection"
> (win95/98/me) and also "interlnk/intersrv", which are both utilities for
> transferring files across LPT/COM ports, and no avail.
Might want to just install base NetBSD via floppies first, then make
SLIP connection to other machine or ftp server.

>> A third way is to get a USB or PCMCIA ethernet...
>As I've mentioned above, they are rather expensive here in Australia.
Seems to me you'll have to have some sort of networking capability  if
you want to install packages w/o a CDROM. Maybe cheaper to buy on Ebay
or similar?

Beaker