Subject: Re: unattened boot/install question
To: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/05/2003 02:32:18
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2003/03/04/0004.html

Not to contest whether there is value to unattended installs, but
perhaps the value of such on NetBSD isn't quite as high as on, say,
MS-WINDOWS.  (The last time that I installed *that* beast, it took
at least an hour, as I recall, and *multiple* reboots.  Memory is
that it was more like 3 hours, but that seems improbably long, even
for installing an MS product.  NetBSD, on the same machine, in
contrast, was up and running in 15 minutes or less.)  (The 15 minute
time is from a CD install, and includes X setup and some other config,
I believe.)

If you know what you're doing with NetBSD, you only have two points, I
think, where *you* are waiting for the computer.  One is the relatively
brief point where it creates the filesystems (assuming that you aren't
using an existing filesystem).  The other is where it unpacks the files.
If memory serves, there is a brief spat of questions between those two
activities.  Those questions you probably could answer *before* doing
any of the work, which might go a ways towards making a semi-unattended
install.

--
  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@olib.org