Subject: Re: netbsd installation on compaq prosignia
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/04/2003 08:52:16
On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 08:35:12AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au> writes:
> > i have aquired an old compaq prosignia (it ran openbsd in a previous
> > life, quite successfully i was told). it has an eisa scsi host adapter
> > (adaptec 2940 uw) to which is attached a 2 Gb hard drive and a sony
> > cdrom drive. the machine has 32 mb dram. here my problems start.
> >
> > netbsd (v1.4.2) (and freebsd v4.6-R) find the host adapter on boot and
>
> Step 1: try using NetBSD 1.6 (or even better 1.6.1) instead. 1.4.2 is
> old enough it is even past its official End of Life.

my local ftp site has netbsd floppies (install sets) for v1.6 which
i've download and pput on what now seems to be unstable media, grr 15
year old floppy drives

> Then, send us the probe messages if it still fails.

if netbsd fails to find the eisa hardware (umm teh host adapter, or teh
harddrive or teh floppy diskette drive) how do i go about getting teh
probe details ... short of long handing it, my writing speed is not the
problem (i've got all day if required) it is the lack of fine muscle
control ergo teh bad at times typing, and you should see my long hand
its worse (ok its as bad as) than a bad secretaries shorthand.

suggestions welcome to a new to netbsd nuts, bolts screws and hammers
user.

with regards

jonathan

ps, a question i have been meaning to ask for a little while.

ummm, is this the right mailing list for this type of question, i've
had a look at teh charters and to me this seems as suitible place to
ask this sort of question, but, my understanding of teh english
language is not shared by quite everybody.

advanced apologies, in case i've gotten it wrong, again.

Jonathan Michaels		 <jon at caamora dot com dot au>
PO Box 144, Rosebery, NSW 1445	 <http://www caamora com au / ~>
==== === appropriate solution in an inappropriate world === ====