Subject: Re: unattened boot/install question
To: Jian Song <Jian.Song@nominum.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/03/2003 15:09:12
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Jian Song wrote:

> 1. how to build netbsd 1.6 so that it won't use sysinit but using the
> install scrip
> t I wrote.

I believe the sysinst is started via .profile script. So edit it to run
your script instead.

> 2. what changes do I have to add to make floppy and ramdisk.  Is it
> simply adding a
>  ramdisk-myram under the directory src/distrib/i386/floppies?

You need a kernel (like INSTALL).

To make your filesystem image look at
/usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/ramdisk-big
(Maybe copy as needed and run "make USETOOLS=never".)

Then to copy the disk image into the memory disk storage area in kernel
look at distrib/i386/floppies/kernel-ramdisk/Makefile.

(Maybe copy it and edit so it will only use build for your one kernel,
then run "make USETOOLS=never".)

Then create your boot floppies.
So copy /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/bootfloppy-laptop to make your own
and then modify as needed and then "make USETOOLS=never".

It won't be entirely unattended because it needs two floppies. Or just do
the above ideas with big instead and make a bootable CD (see netbsd docs
at webpage on this.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/