Subject: Re: reloading /etc/resolv.conf
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Bill Squier <groo@old-ones.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/27/2003 21:13:13
On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:48:33AM -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
> > > Should it kqueue on /etc/resolv.conf and reload if changes?  Probably.
> >
> >Why kqueue it?  Just stat it before you do a DNS lookup.
>
> why stat it?  you wanna reload it?  i've been known to exploit the
> fact that it won't get reloaded so that applications get different
> sets of name servers.
>
> yes, there's chroot, but no, that's not really an answer for, say,
> netscape.

I was going to mention that I once worked for a company in which we
exploited that fact in exactly the same way...

But that lies firmly in the realm of implementation, and not interface.
So I'm not so concerned with altering the behavior.

--
Bill Squier (groo@old-ones.com)                          http://www.netbsd.org

        I know I don't deserve another chance, but this _is_ America,
        and as an American, aren't I entitled to one?  --Sideshow Bob.