Subject: real world netbsd raid questions
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/26/2003 11:28:15
hi folks,

all my netbsd raid experience is some time ago with scsi (u2w) drives.

Now, I want to build an server for about 30 (office) clients. The main target is data safety and the second is speed. I want to start with:

2 120.0GB Seagate Barracuda ATA V drives, NetBSD RAID 1 software raid.

If the data amount will grow, I will add an el-cheapo PCI-EIDE controller card and add another 2 drives.

Another option would be to go the "ICP Vortex way" but is that worth the money?
An Pentium 4 > 2GHz should be able to do it in software fast enough I guess.

I want to be able to boot from any drive, if one fails. (I do not care if I have to add a small partition on each drive)

Any comments/real world expericences? The box will have gigabit lan (on Tyan Trinity GC-SL S2707) that should work with the "wm" driver?!

Thanks!

---
   _  _
 _(_)(_)_  David Wetzel, Turbocat's Development,
(_) __ (_) Buchhorster Strasse 23, D-16567 Muehlenbeck/Berlin, FRG,
  _/  \_   Fax +49 33056 82835 Phone +49 33056 82834
 (______)  http://www.turbocat.de/  dave@turbocat.de