Subject: Re: console output wedged
To: Monroe Williams <monroe@criticalpath.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/16/2003 06:16:27
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2003/02/14/0020.html

Is it possible that you've hit the "scroll lock" key?  Or that the
kernel thinks you have?  At least under port-i386, with wscons,
Scroll Lock will freeze the console as you say.

(Side note, how valuable is "scroll lock" support, anyway?  On a
PC, the boot messages go by so quickly that you can't normally
capture them anyway.  Once you've booted, you can use a program
such as window, or use an X server, with xterm, and scroll-back.
I can't recall ever wanting to use Scroll Lock, though I've
found it locked once or twice, and seem to recall experiencing
adverse effects, similar to what Monroe describes.  If it serves
real utility for some, is it possible to disable it with a kernel
option?  If not, would it be a problem to make it an option?))

--
  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@olib.org