Subject: full duplex audio in 1.6
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Post <apost@interwoven.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/12/2003 08:26:40
Has anyone gotten speakfreely to work in full duplex?  I'm
running 1.6-stable, and it seems like /dev/audio keeps
clearing the fullduplex bit.  You can see this behavior even
just using audioplay.  I don't understand how this
corresponds to audio(4):  "On a full-duplex device, reads
and writes may operate concurrently without interference."

I am looking at the output of `audioctl fullduplex`.

Is there some way to use /dev/sound or /dev/audio such that
two programs opening and closing them (one write only, the
other read only) can go about their business without
interfering with each other?  I don't have an empty slot on
the mobo for a second sound card.  :)

Looking at /usr/src/sys/dev/audio.c, it seems to me that the
fullduplex bit gets cleared unconditionally on any open or
close.  Perhaps I am missing something.

  Alan