Subject: remote printing question
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Douglas Troeger <dtroeger@ix.netcom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/02/2003 13:50:58
I have some basic questions about remote printing, and I am hoping
someone can set me straight.  I've been using NetBSD for a while,
but have set up the home network only within the past few weeks.

On dell, running NetBSD 1.5.2, /usr/sbin/lpd runs with -s.  The -s
option is turned on by default, from lpd=YES in rc.conf.  I run
with inetd=NO, and netstat -af inet shows no indication of a listening
lpd.  Attached to dell is my old Epson printer, and printing (both
local and via samba) works flawlessly.

On dellat, running NetBSD 1.6, I have /etc/printcap as

        epson|lp|remote printer on dell:\
                :sh:\
                :lp:\
                :rm=dell:\
                :rp=lp:\
                :sd=/var/spool/lpd/epson:\
                :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
                :mx#0:

I have added the line
        dellat
to /etc/hosts.lpd on dell.

After lpr test (from dellat), I see:

        lpc> status
        epson:
                queuing is enabled
                printing is enabled
                1 entry in spool area
                waiting for dell to come up

Yet I can ping dell from dellat, and the problem does
not go away if I replace the contents of /etc/ipf.conf on dell
by
        pass in on any all

I suspect my problem is wrapped up with lpd -s and inetd=NO.

But these things are set for security reasons -- may I ask for
suggestions as to the best way to enable remote printing?

Thanks.

-- Doug Troeger