Subject: Re: X problems
To: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/17/2003 01:45:36
--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

hi,

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 03:25:10PM -0800, Harry Waddell wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:52:41 +1300 Milos Negovanovic wrote:
> >=20
> > Ive been trying to run X on my laptop good 3-4 days now (have tried
> > CURRENT, 1.6-RELEASE and 1.6 in that order). Whenever i try to run
> > 'x86cfg', or to 'startx' with configuration file that already worked
> > with X-4.2.1 under Linux, i get this:
> >=20
> > ******************ERROR LOG********************************
> >=20
> > (II) Silicon Motion(0): initializing int10
> > (WW) Silicon Motion(0): remove MTRR a0000 - c0000
> > (II) Silicon Motion(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
> > (II) Silicon Motion(0): VESA BIOS function failed
> >=20
> > Fatal server error:
> > Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
> >=20
> > ********************ERROR LOG*************************************
> >=20
> > Laptop is IBM Thinkpad i1300 with SiliconMotion LynxEm+ 4MB VRAM
> > graphics chip.
> >=20
> > Any suggestions are welcome.
>=20
> suggestion 1, try using the vesa driver. If it works, you'll have a viable
> workaround. If it doesn't work, it indicates that the problem may not
> be related to the video adapter driver, but may instead be in the input
> drivers, etc...

the fix is not to use VESA BIOS, that means add:

 Option      "NoUseBIOS"

to Device section.

> suggestion 3,  obtain the latest source from the xfree86.org via cvs and
> compile it yourself. See if it still crashes.=20

i've not yet tried this due to lack of time and interest but i had
several other problems with the siliconmotion driver (i have LynxEM card
on Asus L7300 laptop):

 - i am unable to switch back to text console when running X.  there is
   black screen only.  the same after exiting X.

 - it hangs on apm suspend, need warm reset

 - it occasionally hangs at random times

XFree86 3.3.6 works fine for me, without accelerated mode, though.
please let me know if you'd have any success with latest XFree sources,
i need to use this laptop, not experiment and rebuild all X packages and
possibly XFree86 3.3.6 again..  good luck!

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --
--                  <salo@silcnet.org>                   --