Subject: Re: X problems
To: Milos Negovanovic <milosn@xtra.co.nz>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/16/2003 15:25:10
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:52:41 +1300
Milos Negovanovic <milosn@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Ive been trying to run X on my laptop good 3-4 days now (have tried
> CURRENT, 1.6-RELEASE and 1.6 in that order). Whenever i try to run
> 'x86cfg', or to 'startx' with configuration file that already worked
> with X-4.2.1 under Linux, i get this:
>
> ******************ERROR LOG********************************

> (II) Silicon Motion(0): initializing int10
> (WW) Silicon Motion(0): remove MTRR a0000 - c0000
> (II) Silicon Motion(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
> (II) Silicon Motion(0): VESA BIOS function failed
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

> ********************ERROR LOG*************************************
>
> Laptop is IBM Thinkpad i1300 with SiliconMotion LynxEm+ 4MB VRAM
> graphics chip.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.

I didn't see anything obvious in the messages, but someone more knowledgeable
might. If not you might want to try the following:

suggestion 1, try using the vesa driver. If it works, you'll have a viable
workaround. If it doesn't work, it indicates that the problem may not
be related to the video adapter driver, but may instead be in the input
drivers, etc...

suggestion 2, try using gdb on the core file. I believe that you need to set
an option in the XF86Config file to have it actually save a core file into a
location where you can find it. 8-)

suggestion 3,  obtain the latest source from the xfree86.org via cvs and
compile it yourself. See if it still crashes.