Subject: Re: NFS tips
To: Joel Wilsson <joelw@unix.se>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/07/2003 21:53:43
On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 02:54:43AM +0100, Joel Wilsson wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 02:41  am, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> >Is there an HOWTO on setting up an NFS server? I'm looking for hints
> >on how to make an almost-dedicated server more reliable and faster.
> >Kernel mods are OK if they really help.
>
> There's a section in the NetBSD handbook about NFS:
> http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/chap-net2.html#NFS
>
> But in short, it's something like this...
> Add the following lines to your rc.conf:
> inetd=yes
> portmap=yes
> nfs_server=yes
> mountd=yes
> rpcbind=yes

The portmap program is gone, replaced by rpcbind.

> Uncomment those lines in inetd.conf:
> rstatd/1-3      dgram   rpc/udp wait:100 nobody:kmem
> /usr/libexec/rpc.rstatd rpc.rstatd
> rusersd/2-3     dgram   rpc/udp wait:100 nobody
> /usr/libexec/rpc.rusersd rpc.rusersd

What are these for?

My NFS servers seem OK without rusersd running or runnable by inetd.
I thought rstatd was only used as a client for 'rup', so isn't needed
for an NFS server.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper