Subject: Re: lightweight wms
To: None <yid@softhome.net>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/05/2003 10:08:00
yid@softhome.net said:

> Have you tried Window Maker or AfterStep? Those are the NeXTStep clones
> for
> *nix. I use WindowMaker here and it is quite easy to use - you can even
> edit the menus and all of the settings using graphical tools if you like.
> It might confuse non-techie windows9x users because it has no start menu
> though, it has a root menu (right mouse button) instead.

I've tried both and while they're good looking and easy to configure (well,
compared to CDE) neither of them gives the unified system (or feeling of)
that NS has. I know I'm spoiled and grumpy (who, me?) but I've been trying
different window managers and desktops since I got my first X-capable system
at home (1994 ?) and I still haven't found anything as nearly as good as
NS. OTOH, it's not the *window manager* in NS, it's /LocalApps,
Interface Builder, services and so on.

But this is just whining, I know. NS has fallen behind curve and the only
thing I use it for nowadays is Diagram.

I've gotta give MacOS X a whirl someday.

> Your comparison is a little extreme BTW, there are plenty of not
> particularly
> difficult to use wms that are neither as ugly and bare bones as twm nor as
> bloated as KDE or GNOME.

Yep. Sorry about that everyone, I was still in slashdot-annoyance-mode.

--
jht