Subject: Re: lightweight wms
To: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/04/2003 07:46:27
On Saturday 04 January 2003 06:00, Jarkko Teppo wrote:
> > KDE and Gnome try to spread MS Windows philosophy on Unix - that's weird.
>
> What's your main problem with them ? Ease-of-use ? I know for a fact
> that if I put a neophyte in front of:
> a) *nix + twm
> b) windows (whatever)
> c) *nix + kde
> d) *nix + gnome
> e) NextStep (haven't tried MacOS X yet ...)
>
> a) is not going to cut it.

Perhaps but let's not forget the number one benefit with Unix.  You can add
more than one window manager to a system and give people the choice as to
which one to run.  With fvwm95 you can even give them something close to b).
You can have twm if you like it and your users can have kde.  Everyone wins
including the memory manufacturers.

> Choice is good, usability is better.

And choice with useability is best.

--