Subject: Re: standard way to add routes?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/04/2003 03:28:43
On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 00:53:41 +0000
Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu> wrote:

> > > Nice easy one:
> > > 	Is there something like /etc/mygate you can use to add
> > > static routes at boot time. I couldn't find any simpler fix than
> > > sticking a
> > >
> > > !route add -net ....
> > >
> > > to the end of /etc/ifconfig.closest-interface,
> > > but that seemed a bit clanky.
>
> > I'm not sure how standard it is, but I usually put static routes, other
> > than the default in /etc/mygate, in /etc/netstart.local. It would be
> > painfully easy to add a mechanism like the one used for interface aliases.
> > A simple "grep route /etc/rc.d/netstart" did not reveal anything that
> > looked like it would be an alternate mechanism.
>
> Ah, rc.local. The gaffer tape[0] of the rc system :)

Use number 1001 and still counting. :-)

> Really not a big deal, just checking really.

fair enough.

from what I've experienced, placing local network stuff in /etc/netstart.local
is preferable to rc.local in because netstart.local gets called at the end of
the network setup. I believe rc.local gets called later [near or at the end]
in the boot process. Depending on what one is attempting to do, this may be
important.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing