Subject: RE: updating netbsd
To: 'joerch' <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Conrad T. Pino <Conrad@Pino.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/31/2002 05:19:20

The update method varies by version.  For example updating
to 1.6 from a prior version is a binary install because
you can't compile the 1.6.x source with earlier versions.

> i did updates on freebsd with cvsup and the whole
> rebuild of the system and some updates on suse linux,
> that was a binary update.

This usually works on NetBSD also unless the change is big
enough i.e. see previous paragraph.

> how is the netbsd system updated, only binary or source
> and then rebuilding the system  ?

Again version sensitive.

> hope i someone can point me to a howto or something,
> i am searching a little more on the web and i am
> very happy if i find something ;)

The definitive explanation of how releases are archived
and where the INSTALL documentation is buried is here:
http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?release++NetBSD-current

The INSTALL document for NetBSD 1.6 is here:
ftp://ftp.at.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/i386/

> at the moment i think i am to blind to find a howto.

I had the same problem myself.  I hope this helps.

> --
> gruesse
>
> joerg "joerch" buechner
>
> http://www.home.mayn.de/helix