Subject: Re: Small disk space
To: Jianyi Dai <jianyi_d@yahoo.com>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/31/2002 10:49:53
On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 09:12:05PM -0800, Jianyi Dai wrote:
> I just started to load NetBSD on my SparcClassic,
> which has only 200MB disk space and 24MB memory.
>
> Now, at the beginning, I need only basic tools for
> coding and compiling programs( for example, gcc ). If

I've got 3 486-25MHz notebooks which I find very useful as serial consoles.
They all have 120MB hdds.  As I recall, I was able to install all of the
text binaries except man.tgz and games.tgz, but this was at the 1.4.1 level.
Swap space was only 12MB, and I found that more would fit on if I just had
a single partition, i.e., / only.

However, I really think you would be wasting your sparc to use a 200MB disk
in it.  I'm using two 1.2GBs and a 600MB in my 3 IPCs.  One 1.2GB was out of
the garbage; the other two were purchased used for about $10 apiece.  Two
months ago I picked up a 2GB disk for $12 to put in my SS5.  For the most
part, though, my regular supplier is the dumpster where most Macs being
chucked these days have at least 800MB SCSIs, and most external SCSI drives
either carry 1GB, or only have 100MB.  I rip out and chuck the small drives,
and put in only 520MB or larger drives (as another person mentioned).

Even if you stick with the 200MB internal disk, you really should tack on
an external drive or two to bring your total space up to 1GB+, IMO.

Also, you're probably talking about those fat drives, e.g., Maxtor LXT213.
They've just about reached their possible lifetime even if not used much
by the original owner.  Two of them have burned up (literally) on me.  Your
machine will run considerably cooler with mid-1990s vintage, 1"-thick SCSIs.

henry nelson