Subject: Re: Dual Monitors with NetBSD 1.6 for x86
To: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/29/2002 13:23:49
"Jeff Flowers" <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>  wrote:
 > I have just be given a second monitor from a friend who wanted a flat-screen
 > LCD screen for his Windows box. I think that it would be cool to run X with
 > two monitors but I have never seen this done before.

I find it's better to use x2x and use 2 different systems. I have a dual-headed
sparc and a single-headed PC on my desk at work. I use x2x between the sparc
and the PC so I have 1 keyboard, 1 mouse, and 3 heads on 2 hosts.

I use the NetBSD/sparc monitors for the bulk of my work. One of those for
my mail, icb, and other personal stuff, then the other one for actual
work/work, and the NetBSD/i386 monitor for gqmpeg, fxtv, mplayer, opera,
flash, realaudio, and all the other annoying things that you can only
really get for Linux/i386.

Most people, when they first see my desk, think I'm some sort of whore,
but then I remind them that manufacturers rarely print databooks anymore
and force you to either print 800 pages yourself, or look at the PDF,
and there's just no substitute for having a databook open with your code
in front of you.

Now if only I could take a monitor into the can with me, life would
almost be as good as when people still printed stuff on paper.

</rant>