Subject: Questions: /etc/mk.conf
To: NetBSD Help \(E-mail\) <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Conrad T. Pino <Conrad@Pino.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/27/2002 08:24:50
Hi All,

I'm using NetBSD 1.6 installed from binary.
I have the src distribution and getting ready
to build from source.  I've been reading from
"/usr/src" and "/usr/share/mk" files.

Base on my reading, I've created this mk.conf:

$ cat /etc/mk.conf
DISTDIR=/usr/pkgsrc.dist.files
OBJMACHINE=yes
MKOBJDIRS=yes
RELEASEDIR=/usr/src.rels
TOOLDIR=/usr/tools
DESTDIR=/usr/src.dest
$

I've concluded that "MKOBJDIRS=yes" is a good
idea in all cases to keep object files out of
the source tree.

I think "OBJMACHINE=yes" is useful when doing
cross platform builds i.e. compile "sparc64"
on an "i386" development box.

I think setting "TOOLDIR" is also needed for cross
platform builds.

File "/usr/src/UPDATING" says, "...also necessary
if you want to use the same source tree for multiple
machines." which I assume applies to "OBJMACHINE".

I want to compile for multiple machines but they are
all "i386" platforms.  Given the development box and
the target boxes are all "i386", do I really need to
have "OBJMACHINE=yes"?

Do I need to set "TOOLDIR" when the build platform
and the target platform are both "i386"?

Does the rest of my "/etc/mk.conf" look reasonable?

Should I add something I've overlooked so far?

TIA,

Conrad