Subject: Re: OT: getting a music CD to disk
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20021225T140806@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/25/2002 14:20:03
> On Wed, 25 Dec 2002 16:33:48 -0500
> Sam Carleton <sam@linux-info.net> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a good web site that would get me up and
> > running?

I like "grip" and "lame" for generating the mp3 files.  The program
with some homegrown netbsd fixes can be gotten here:

        http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ftp/grip-2.95-wsr.tar.gz

Lame is available in /usr/pkgsrc/.  For playback I like "gqmpeg",
which is also available in pkgsrc.

Putting all the CD's on disk was a royal pain (and took about a week),
but now that it is done, it sure is convenient.

Playing well-encoded mp3 music into a good set of studio monitors
sounds darn good!  (Google for "self-powered near-field monitors" for
a long list of speakers that are much better than the junk available
in computer stores.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/

spider food: http://www.wsrcc.com/baddream/usenet/
(NOTE: The email address above is valid.  Edit it at your own peril.)