Subject: Re: Sonic ethernet problems
To: Thomas Long <tflong@earthlink.net>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/24/2002 23:11:54
On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 @ 10:03am (-0800), Thomas Long wrote:

TL> Hi,
TL>
TL> I have a Mac 575 (full 68040, 36megs) that I'm trying to use a a
TL> firewall/router for a small
TL> home network.  I have two NICs: ae0 in the PDS slot works great but
TL> sn0, the Sonic based Apple
TL> card in the comm slot,reports all kinds of errors even though it
TL> works perfectly when running  MacOS.  Typical errors are
TL>
TL> Tx: timeout
TL> sn0: receive buffers exhausted
TL> sn0: transmit buffers exhausted

..according to:

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?sn+.mac68k+NetBSD-current

.. there are no known bugs.  Normally this error would indicate that the 10
meg network interface is saturated.  what netstat(1) say w/ '-m' flag?  also
try tcpdump(1) w/ '-i sn0' to see what's going on-on that ethernet segment.

-lava

TL> Does anyone have a Sonic based ethernet adapter working with a 1.6
TL> kernel?  Are there any fixes,
TL> workarounds to these problems?
TL>
TL> Thanks

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973

"GNU/Linux: About as stable as the elements at the bottom of the periodic table"