Subject: Re: Cloning an i386 system ?
To: webmaster@datazap.net <webmaster@datazap.net>
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Philip=20Christian?= <philipchristian2003@yahoo.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/24/2002 16:40:42
--0-2006284672-1040748042=:3328

Thanks for the tips folks.  In the end my second system didnt like the harddrive anyway (I guess the 8.4G limit).  Instead I used a disk smaller than the other system, and so fairly quickly decided to go for a fresh install.  After all it doesnt take long from CD.
The comments about KDE are interesting. In fact I cant get KDE to come up on these 486/100Mhz machines.  I got X to start up fine using a generic VGA driver, and so installed KDE3.  KDE gets to the login screen okay but logging in as a user seems to crash X, and, it looks like it would need more memory as it was significantly faster (to crash :-) ) with a bit more RAM.  So indeed plan X or a nice lightweight window manager would be what I need.
Thanks, Philip

 "webmaster@datazap.net" <webmaster@datazap.net> wrote:On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Gan Uesli Starling wrote:

> Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:40:02 -0500
> From: Gan Uesli Starling
> To: Philip Christian

> Cc: netbsd-help@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Cloning an i386 system ?
>
> Philip Christian writes:
>
> > I am just building a NetBSD system now.
> >
> > I have a second PC which is completely identical,
> > except that it has a bigger hard drive.
> >
> > Can I just take this drive, partition and format it,
> > attach it as a slave on the first system, mount it I
> > guess, and then just drag all the files over in
> > Konquerer?
> >
> > Or would there be a better way to do it ?
>
> Phillip,
>
> They way you thought would have worked on an old
> Amiga 2000 running AmigaOS (I used to back up that
> way all the time in the 80's). But it would not, I
> don't think, work on any other OS at all.
>
> Here is a how-to for the way I do it on NetBSD.
>
> I don't know if it is the 'best way'. But it is a
> good way and has worked twice for me.
>
> http://starling.us/gus_netbsd/gus_netbsd_cpio_backup.html
>
> Know that I too am something of a Newbie. I have a number
> of how-tos for other newbies at the parent URL for the
> above how-to. It is at...
>
> http://starling.us/gus_netbsd
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Gan
>
> PS.....an addenda.....
>
> If I may, a word or two. Coming from AmigaOS to Win98 to
> WinNT to Win2K to NetBSD I too jumped immediately on the KDE
> bandwagon...first with KDE 1 then 2 then 3. But I find that
> I only ever needed or used about 2% of KDE.
>
> I remember now that what I liked best about AmigaOS was it's
> being clean and small...having only what I wanted. And what I
> hate most about Windows was that it comes loaded down with
> an army of useless, space-wasting applications that I do not
> even know what some of them do.
>
> If you set your paths in /home/your-user-name/.cshrc for each
> of your executables (email me later if you have trouble) then
> you can save loads and loads of otherwise wasted HD space by
> installing some other window manager rather than KDE.
>
> XFree86 comes standard with a rather plain wm, so you don't
> even have to install one at all.
>
> Then you just type the name of the thing you want to run in a
> terminal window and up it comes: mozilla, the editor of your
> choice, etc., etc.
>
> All those other window managers boot up way faster than KDE.
> I kept to KDE because the xterm windows had scrollbars. Then
> someone pointed out that the -sb option for xterm works with
> any wm, that KDE just does it by default, is all. Had I bothered
> to read 'man xterm' or 'info xterm' I would have known this
> long before.
>
> I have an OLD laptop which runs plenty fast on a small, clean
> window manager but is really quite the sloth in KDE.
>
> The real NetBSD gurus have previously recommended as much to
> me, yet I ignored them. Turns out that they were right.
>
> Just a thought...

> [...]

--0-2006284672-1040748042=:3328

<P>Thanks for the tips folks.&nbsp; In the end my second system didnt like the harddrive anyway (I guess the 8.4G limit).&nbsp; Instead I used a disk smaller than the other system, and so fairly quickly decided to go for a fresh install.&nbsp; After all it doesnt take long from CD.
<P>The comments about KDE are interesting. In fact I cant get KDE to come up on these 486/100Mhz machines.&nbsp; I got X to start up fine using a generic VGA driver, and so installed KDE3.&nbsp; KDE gets to the login screen okay but logging in as a user seems to crash X, and, it looks like it would need more memory as it was significantly faster (to crash :-) ) with a bit more RAM.&nbsp; So indeed plan X or a nice lightweight window manager would be what I need.
<P>Thanks, Philip</P>
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>"webmaster@datazap.net" &lt;webmaster@datazap.net&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Gan Uesli Starling wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:40:02 -0500<BR>&gt; From: Gan Uesli Starling <ALIAS@STARLING.US><BR>&gt; To: Philip Christian <PHILIPCHRISTIAN2003@YAHOO.CO.UK><BR>&gt; Cc: netbsd-help@netbsd.org<BR>&gt; Subject: Re: Cloning an i386 system ?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Philip Christian writes:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; I am just building a NetBSD system now.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; I have a second PC which is completely identical,<BR>&gt; &gt; except that it has a bigger hard drive.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Can I just take this drive, partition and format it,<BR>&gt; &gt; attach it as a slave on the first system, mount it I<BR>&gt; &gt; guess, and then just drag all the files over in<BR>&gt; &gt; Konquerer?<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Or would there be a better way to do it ?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Phillip,<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; They way you thought would have worke!
d on an old<BR>&gt; Amiga 2000 running AmigaOS (I used to back up that<BR>&gt; way all the time in the 80's). But it would not, I<BR>&gt; don't think, work on any other OS at all.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Here is a how-to for the way I do it on NetBSD.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I don't know if it is the 'best way'. But it is a<BR>&gt; good way and has worked twice for me.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; http://starling.us/gus_netbsd/gus_netbsd_cpio_backup.html<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Know that I too am something of a Newbie. I have a number<BR>&gt; of how-tos for other newbies at the parent URL for the<BR>&gt; above how-to. It is at...<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; http://starling.us/gus_netbsd<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Enjoy,<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Gan<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; PS.....an addenda.....<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; If I may, a word or two. Coming from AmigaOS to Win98 to<BR>&gt; WinNT to Win2K to NetBSD I too jumped immediately on the KDE<BR>&gt; bandwagon...first with KDE 1 then 2 then 3. But I find that<BR>&gt; I only ever needed or used about 2% of KDE!
.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I remember now that what I liked best about AmigaOS was it's<BR>&gt; being clean and small...having only what I wanted. And what I<BR>&gt; hate most about Windows was that it comes loaded down with<BR>&gt; an army of useless, space-wasting applications that I do not<BR>&gt; even know what some of them do.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; If you set your paths in /home/your-user-name/.cshrc for each<BR>&gt; of your executables (email me later if you have trouble) then<BR>&gt; you can save loads and loads of otherwise wasted HD space by<BR>&gt; installing some other window manager rather than KDE.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; XFree86 comes standard with a rather plain wm, so you don't<BR>&gt; even have to install one at all.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Then you just type the name of the thing you want to run in a<BR>&gt; terminal window and up it comes: mozilla, the editor of your<BR>&gt; choice, etc., etc.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; All those other window managers boot up way faster than KDE.<BR>&gt; I kept to!
--0-2006284672-1040748042=:3328--