Subject: Re: uaudio help
To: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/23/2002 10:03:44
On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:50:13 -0800
Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com> wrote:

> On 22 Dec 2002 22:59:10 -0500
> Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I'm trying out a nice pair of USB speakers.  NetBSD seems to have
> > detected them just fine (from dmesg):
> >
> > uaudio0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0: harman/kardon
> > SoundSticks, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2 uaudio0: audio rev 1.00
> > audio1 at uaudio0: full duplex, independent
> > uhidev0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 2
> > uhidev0: harman/kardon SoundSticks, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2, iclass 3/0
> > uhid0 at uhidev0: input=2, output=0, feature=0
> >
> > But how do I play a CD to these speakers?  I'm using xmcd.  The sound
> > is still coming out to audio0.
> >
> > I've tried changing links /dev/audio to /dev/audio1 and similarly for
> > /dev/sound.  But this didn't seem to work.  I've read the man pages
> > for audio, audioctl, mixerctl, and I'm stumped.  Obviously I'm missing
> > something simple: any ideas?
> >

> I've had luck with some usb audio devs, and had no luck with others. There
> are a number of useful messages in the current-users message archive, BTW.
> Anyway, try using "mixerctl -a -d   /dev/mixer1" to find the master
> volume setting. Also, check to make sure that the DAC, [etc] and main output
> are not muted. Use "mixerctl -d /dev/mixer1 -w " to change the values. This
> is usually all I've needed to get a device working. I good test is to play
> an mp3 with "mpg123 -a /dev/sound1 file.mp3".
>
> If the device still wont work, you can try
> "audioctl -f /dev/audioctl1 -w play=44100,2,16,slinear_le"
> The sounds played through the device may need to be resampled to 44100
> samples/sec to get them to play.
>
> I can't say for sure if the speakers you have work or not, but I believe
> that someone claimed that they did work in one of USB+BSD related lists I
> subscribe to. I'd be curious to know if you get them to work.

Sorry, I missed part of your question, once you've established that the usb
speakers are working, you may use the cd player module in xmms to play a cd.
xmms allows you to set the audio device in it's preferences. I found it to
be a bit counter-intuitive, using the file selector to select audio tracks
from a cd. There may be another program that lets you set the audio device,
but in the past when I knew that I did not want to use the built in audio, I
disabled it in the bios or removed it from my kernel config file, thereby
making uaudio0 the only audio device. Yeah, I know it's a hack.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing