Subject: Re: slightly off topic: printing from a windows machine to cupsd
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/22/2002 22:20:34
Quoting Harry Waddell (waddell@caravan.com):
> newer versions of windows and OSX can use lpr protocol to connect to the
> lpr daemon on your netbsd box. The jobs gets queued and printed in the same
> ways as a local job.

Just for the record, I've used LPR on Macs since OS 8, IIRC
(and 3rd party software before that).

CUPS seems to be a strong standard for printing.  Cups server
can serve lpd.  I don't really know how it compare with LPRNG
point by point, but I've been ready to lose standard LPR for
a long time (one spool per printer on each machine, serial
settings in Sanscript in printcap, etc).

> win98 [I believe] and win95 or older, all require some kind of additional
> software to make them work and play well with lpr [and lots of other
> standards].

It was actually better when you HAD to buy TCP software for
Windows - you got better stacks and useful utilities (NFS, XWindows,
etc).  I haven't really touched Windows since 95 (year and release)
so can't help there.