Subject: Re: Does IOMEGA 750M Zip drive work on NetBSD?
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: S. N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/22/2002 23:31:21
So far iOMEGA 750 works fine with NetBSD 1.6.  I have initially used the=20
default format, which is MSDOS but recording rate is like only some=20
~350KB/sec whereas after I reformatted with FFS, speed increased to some=20
~1.3MB/sec.

Regarding the "=3D20" showing on my messages, I couldn't figure out why w=
as=20
causing that!  Where just is that "quoted-printable" option in Kmail?  I =
am=20
using pkg version of KDE 3.02.  I have unchecked /settings/"configure=20
kmail"/composer/general/"use smar quoting".  I am not sure if you are=20
referring to that one.  Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
S. N. Cho,
Sunday, Dec. 22, 2002.

On Monday 23 December 2002 01:10 am, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > Hello,=3D20
> > I have bought IOMEGA 750M Zip drive for backup purpose but little hes=
itan=3D
> > t to=3D20
> > open till I'm sure it works with NetBSD.  If it works with NetBSD, in=
 wha=3D
> > t=3D20
> > format is the ZIP disks being formatted in?  Or, are ZIP disk formats=
=20
as=3D20
> > universal as those for CDs, CD9660 format?  Thank you in advance.
>=20
>=20
> > Yours sincerely,
> > S. N. Cho,
> > Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2002.
>=20
> Can you turn off quoted-printable with KMail/1.4.2?  See what your mess=
age=20
> looked like.
>=20
> I have experience with Iomega Zip 100 and 250 but heard more recently a=
bout=20
the
> Zip 750.  I once formatted a Zip 100 disk with OS/2, and it worked in b=
oth=20
OS/2
> and DOS, Linux too.  One problem is Iomega's proprietary Z-tracks which=
 are=20
used
> for spare sectors when the Zip or Jaz disk develops bad sectors.  In or=
der=20
> preserve access to the Z-tracks, formatting must be done with Iomega's=20
software.
> So I suppose if that Zip 100 disk that I formatted under OS/2 developed=
 bad
> sectors, it would not have been usable any more.  But something like th=
at
> happened with a Zip 250 disk, and the bad sector was just that, and not=
=20
replaced
> by one of those spare sectors.  Most of the data on that disk was intac=
t,=20
but=20
> further use of that disk was likely to lead to more bad sectors and los=
s of
> data.  I never formatted that disk; stayed with the factory format.
>=20
> My source of information on the proprietary Z-tracks is newsgroups
> alt.iomega.zip.jaz and alt.iomega.zip.jazz, and you can look to those=20
newsgroups
> for more information on the proprietary Z-tracks, though few if any peo=
ple=20
there