Subject: LKMs (was Re: Quick kernel question.)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/22/2002 11:23:33
Quoting Christos Zoulas (christos@zoulas.com):
> S. N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu> wrote:
>
> Type: size /netbsd
> The sizes you see are loaded into memory. Unused device drivers just eat
> space.

Please define "space" a little better - RAM or disk?  Disk I
don't care about (ok, a little - esp for floppy boots) but RAM
can be important.

Is there a way to shove a lot of these drivers into LKMs?

It would be nice to have drivers available for the 8 or 9
network cards I run into, but I only have 1 (or 2) in the
machine at any time.  I'd have no problem with a module being
loaded only when I insert the BitBlaster 2000 into the machine.

IBID SCSI, and Firewire and several of the USB device specific drivers.