Subject: Re: Keyboard Shortcuts In X
To: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/20/2002 09:50:04
On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Jeff Flowers wrote:

> I would like to set up X so that I can make, for example, the F12 key
> open a new XTerm. Is something like this possible? I've been searching
> documents on X customization but most seem to be concerned with other
> things.

That's a function of your window manager, not of "X". For example,
with the default window manager of "twm", you could add the following
to ".twmrc":

"F12"    =       : all           : f.exec	"xterm"

"twm" is actually amazingly configurable; see the man page, twm(1).
It's homely, though: afterstep (my favorite) is much prettier, and
just as configurable. You might browse the "wm" category of "pkgsrc"
for many more choices.

Frederick