Subject: Re: Cloning an i386 system ?
To: Philip Christian <philipchristian2003@yahoo.co.uk>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/20/2002 09:40:02
Philip Christian writes:

> I am just building a NetBSD system now.
>
> I have a second PC which is completely identical,
> except that it has a bigger hard drive.
>
> Can I just take this drive, partition and format it,
> attach it as a slave on the first system, mount it I
> guess, and then just drag all the files over in
> Konquerer?
>
> Or would there be a better way to do it ?

Phillip,

They way you thought would have worked on an old
Amiga 2000 running AmigaOS (I used to back up that
way all the time in the 80's). But it would not, I
don't think, work on any other OS at all.

Here is a how-to for the way I do it on NetBSD.

I don't know if it is the 'best way'. But it is a
good way and has worked twice for me.

http://starling.us/gus_netbsd/gus_netbsd_cpio_backup.html

Know that I too am something of a Newbie. I have a number
of how-tos for other newbies at the parent URL for the
above how-to. It is at...

http://starling.us/gus_netbsd

Enjoy,

Gan

PS.....an addenda.....

If I may, a word or two. Coming from AmigaOS to Win98 to
WinNT to Win2K to NetBSD I too jumped immediately on the KDE
bandwagon...first with KDE 1 then 2 then 3. But I find that
I only ever needed or used about 2% of KDE.

I remember now that what I liked best about AmigaOS was it's
being clean and small...having only what I wanted. And what I
hate most about Windows was that it comes loaded down with
an army of useless, space-wasting applications that I do not
even know what some of them do.

If you set your paths in /home/your-user-name/.cshrc for each
of your executables (email me later if you have trouble) then
you can save loads and loads of otherwise wasted HD space by
installing some other window manager rather than KDE.

XFree86 comes standard with a rather plain wm, so you don't
even have to install one at all.

Then you just type the name of the thing you want to run in a
terminal window and up it comes: mozilla, the editor of your
choice, etc., etc.

All those other window managers boot up way faster than KDE.
I kept to KDE because the xterm windows had scrollbars. Then
someone pointed out that the -sb option for xterm works with
any wm, that KDE just does it by default, is all. Had I bothered
to read 'man xterm' or 'info xterm' I would have known this
long before.

I have an OLD laptop which runs plenty fast on a small, clean
window manager but is really quite the sloth in KDE.

The real NetBSD gurus have previously recommended as much to
me, yet I ignored them. Turns out that they were right.

Just a thought...

Enjoy,

Gan

 --