Subject: Re: Your use of NedBSD?
To: Sam Carleton , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/18/2002 09:56:14
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2002/12/16/0000.html

I use it (or have used it) for just about anything and everything:

 * Internet gateway/firewall/routing/NAT/...

 * Print server, FTP server, CVS server, ...

 * Workstation (games, playing music, watching DVD's, programming,
   graphics, web-browsing, ...)

 * Laptop (TeX; connections in an office, at home, in my brother's
   house where he has a DHCP-serving router and ethernet strung
   through most/all of the rooms; ...).

 * Learning (sometimes slowly, sometimes a little faster; (^&)
   about UNIX, UNIX system administration, and network administration.

The present exception is an otherwise "extra" machine upon which I have
reinstalled the Evil Empire OS.  It is there partly to see how it behaves
in a network, and partly to let me help beta-test some software that does
not run on NetBSD.  (My brother wrote the software; we've spoken about
ccollaborating on a future version which *would* definitely exist in a
UNIXish form.)

There are a few areas where NetBSD comes up short, for me.  (Mostly
revolving around 3D graphics.)  Actually *doing* something about these
things is somewhere halfway down my TODO list.