Subject: Re: Your use of NedBSD?
To: salvatore francavilla <s.francavilla@web.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/17/2002 22:36:05
On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 10:34:11PM +0000, salvatore francavilla wrote:
> I simply use it as workstation for internet access with mozilla,
> ipfilter ..etc. Also for cdburning with xcdroast. It works great!
> Mainly i started with bsd to learn more about unix. NetBSD 1.6 is a very
> clean and stable os.
> Next time i want to install a separate firewall box. Many folks tell me
> to use Openbsd instead of NetBSD for higher security. I'm not sure. Does
> anybody have any experience with OpenBSD?

Security is mostly a matter of how you install and manage the box, rather
than a system ws another, although some tools can help you (audit-packages
from the NetBSD pkg for example :)
Saying that OpenBSD is more secure is pure marketing. Saying that a system
has a feature that will help you in your environnement (e.g. kernel security
level, file system flags, etc ...) are technical facts.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>