Subject: Re: RAID, boot disk, installation w/ 5+ disks; DECnet
To: None <MBOX6212441@moose.jlab.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/17/2002 22:28:06
On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 10:08:14PM +0000, MBOX6212441@moose.jlab.org wrote:
> The NetBSD 1.6 installation CD comes only with entries for wd0-wd3 in /dev.
> The drives which are attached to my Highpoint 404 (HPT374) are assigned
> wd0-wd3, and soon there will be another 4, while the actual boot disk which
> is attached to the onboard controller is wd4, as recognized during the boot
> phase. There is no entry in /dev for wd4 and MAKEDEV fails due to a disk
> space error. The installation procedure only works with wd0-wd3. I like to
> boot from the small disk that is attached to the internal controller and
> leave the RAID system as pure scratch disk for data. Any idea how to fix
> the installation procedure without changing the CD (no OS on disk yet, so
> the fix needs to be simple;-).

Disconnect disks from the highpoint :)
Once you have installed a system on your drive, I recommend building
a kernel with wd0 hardwired to the onboard controller (which also mean
hardwiring pciide0 to the pci device the onboard controller is on - dmesg
gives all the infos) so that your boot drive name doesn't change if you
add disks.

> I created a RAID array (RAID0) through the controller's BIOS. Does NetBSD
> access the RAID array as one disk or will I get 4 (later 8) disks? I like
> to see only one disk and let the controller do the striping (if the
> hardware actually performs this task).

The hardware doesn't do it, the HPT374 is software RAID. Use raidframe or ccd
to creare your raid0 and view is a one big disk.

> Does the NetBSD NFS server support 1.6 Tbyte disks?

It should but I suspect it has not been tested yet.
At last you'll have to give larger fragment/block size to newfs than the
default (1024/8192).
There are other issue which have been discussed recently, but I don't remember
if the limit was 1T or 2T.

> Does NetBSD 1.6 support DECnet (Phase IV or V, possibly V over IP) ? There

Not to my knowledge.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>