Subject: Re: Your use of NedBSD?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/16/2002 21:34:56
On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 09:03:52AM -0500, Sam Carleton wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I thought I might take a poll.  Why do you use NetBSD?  I would like to be
> the first to take the poll:

I use it at work for various servers:
- NFS/samba/appletalk fileserver (for about 200 clients)
- filtering IP router
- "public" boxes (ssh gateway to internal machines , web/ftp/smtp servers, ...)
- various services (yp server, samba domain controller, samba/cups print
  spooler, UPS monitoring, mrtg collector, etc ...)
- a computer room for students, for which good IPv6 support is quite
  important.

I choose NetBSD for the servers because of the multiplatform support
(not all the world is a PC; al alpha DS20 is a great fileserver, and
I prefer to use sparc boxes for the ssh gateways), good security and
reliability. I had it crash a few times, but every OSes have bugs, and
at last NetBSD will usually reboot by itself and come back online without
user intervention, and leave a core dump which can be analysed to find
the cause of the crash.
I also find pkgsrc handy for servers, as it allows compile-time options of
packages to be tuned.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>