Subject: Re: Your use of NedBSD?
To: Sam Carleton <sam@linux-info.net>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/16/2002 11:20:37
Sam Carleton writes:

> I thought I might take a poll.  Why do you use NetBSD?

Several reasons:

1. It is multi-platform.

  A. Bought my second computer way back in 1989. It was an Amiga 2000.
     Spent a lot of time learing the OS and languages like JForth.
     All went to waste when Commodore went bankrupt. With the NetBSD
     OS I feel safe to invest time knowing whatever skills I develop
     will follow me if and when I ever have to switch from i386.

  B. I am convinced that whatever code is written for a multi-platform
     OS like NetBSD must be based on sound logic. That is to say...
     there will be no temptation to exploit some quirky short-cut
     peculiar to one single platform.

2. The base OS is clean and free of useless dross. I add on only
  such things as are really useful. NetBSD gives me dicatorial control
  over what shall and shall not run on the machine I paid for. As it
  should be.

3. The community on netbsd-help@netbsd.org is ever so much more polite
  and helpful than were any of the folks I met at my first and second
  (last) meeting for the local Linux users group in Kalamazoo.

Respectfully,

Gan

 --
Mistera Sturno - Rarest Extinct Bird