Subject: Bandwidth throttling once limit reached
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: J. Piers Hearn <endareth@spamcop.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/15/2002 22:03:01
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a system whereby once my data transfer through a
specified interface (pppoe0 specifically) has passed a specified amount (in
this case being my monthly 10 gigs of download), my bandwidth automatically
throttles down to a lower rate, say equivalent to a 28.8k modem. I figure I
can do this by some use of netstat to track my data transfer, and altq to
then throttle down my interface.

So far, run into the following snags: If I'm going to use netstat, I need
some way to clear it's totals at the end of month, but I can't see a
convenient way of doing so. Second, setting up altq, can anyone point me to
any good doco on configuring it? I've found one at
ftp://ftp.csl.sony.co.jp/pub/kjc/papers/altq98.ps.gz which gives good
technical info about altq, but not much useful about how to configure it.

Thanks,
Piers