Subject: Re: Plural window managers for X
To: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/14/2002 14:23:20
"Gan Uesli Starling" <alias@starling.us> writes:
> Howdy, I have both KDE3 and ICE window managers. It would
> be very fine if I could ELECT which WM I want as an
> option to startx. Can I do that? If so, how do I do
> that? Note: when I simply modify xinitrc so that it does
> not call a WM, then startx crashes on take-off.

xinit exits when the last thing in the xinitrc returns
control. Therefore, you need to not put a & after the last thing in
your .xinitrc.

You can easily just run an xterm as the last thing and type the name
of your favorite window manager into that window. I had a friend who
once spent the (five minutes) constructing a little app with tk that
showed a set of buttons for different window managers and he pushed
the one he wanted.

Perry