Subject: Re: ARP queries; what do they mean?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20021212T214313@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/12/2002 21:55:13
rauch@rice.edu (Richard Rauch) writes:
> tcpdump is where this started.  That's how I know that it's an ARP who-has
> request.  I'll take a look at ethereal and see if it helps, though.
> Thanks.  (^&

Well if it started with tcpdump you can just look at the MAC address.
That will tell you who is sending the packet.  (Remember to flip the
'-e' flag if you use tcpdump to display the packet.)

Ethereal is just a better front end that lets you explore a bit, but
it presents the same info.

> > The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
> > that has been posted to list.netbsd-help as well.
>
> (Hm.  Your message seems to have confused PINE.  It tried to respond on
> some newsgroup, rather than to the netbsd-help@netbsd.org mailing
> list...I had to force this back to email, and lost the other two
> respondants.  Ick.)

Sorry about that.  Ever since C-news days I've piped all mailing list
traffic into a local-only bi-directional newsgroup.  It keeps all the
bulk stuff out of my mailbox.  Well, at least it did before the days
of spam.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/

spider food: http://www.wsrcc.com/baddream/usenet/
(NOTE: The email address above is valid.  Edit it at your own peril.)