Subject: Re: ARP queries; what do they mean?
To: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/12/2002 06:27:06
> Manuel> Was this on your private LAN, or on the ADSL side ?  Is it

My DSL modem plugs directly into my private LAN.  (I"m still considering
going back to a firewall and private IP numbers for most of my
machines---or maybe stringing two LAN's and running less secure mechanisms
over the second LAN.)

So, I can't really say, just on the basis of wiring, where the packets
came from (or could not have come from).

> Manuel> possible that someone has stolen your IP (maybe just by
> Manuel> misconfiguration) ?

Hm.  Well, this is ARP, so it's fairly low-level, right?  My impression is
that it must be coming from a machine that thinks it's directly connected
to my hub (i.e., this can't be forwarded by my ISP's TCP/IP gateway from
some other part of the Internet).  Is that correct?

> Or maybe it is the ISPs router doing something silly to "check" that
> your network isn't misconfigured. I have no idea really.

That could be.

Thanks for your thoughts (both of you).