Subject: Re: Detecting a closed circuit
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/08/2002 10:28:14
On Sat, 7 Dec 2002 00:09:43 -0500, "James K. Lowden"
<jklowden@schemamania.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Dec 2002 21:02:24 -0700, Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
> wrote:
> > Especially since I've seen at least 6 different versions of "null
> > modem cable/adapter". The one you bought at Rad Shack is probably
> > wrong and the one you made yourself is probably still better.
>
>  DTR -- DSR & CD
>   TD -- RD
> SGND -- SGND
>  RTS -- CTS

Update, bringing us back on topic (but still off subject :).

I'm using the above null modem to connect tty01 on an i386 box to a
sparcstation console.  It works OK, but cu(1) gets a hangup signal when I
go into single user mode or reboot, kicking me off.  I think the sparc
lowers RTS, leading termios to believe its connection has been lost.

I haven't found a way to tell cu to ignore the hangup signal.  I think
perhaps some thin copper wire wrapped around pins 7 and 8 will do the
trick, if I get sufficiently motivated.

--jkl