Subject: Re: Quake crashes
To: Christos Zoulas , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/07/2002 01:31:17
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2002/12/07/0001.html

Gan said he compiled it (and if you look at the /usr/pkg/share/quake
pathname, it suggests he is running quake from pkgsrc; you can see that
that builds from source as a native binary).

Ignoring that, Quake II ran on NetBSD/i386 1.4 and 1.5.

As well, if you enable "shareware" as an acceptable license, the shareware
quake from pkgsrc builds (you really only need "shareware" for the
quakedata, it seems).  Then the commands that Gan showed *do* work for me.

Gan: If you really just want to entice your son into using UNIX (even if
just as a big game system), in the case of Quake it may be easier to just
buy the LINUX version, and compile in LINUX compatibility (if you haven't
already).  I konw that Quake II, at least, runs.  Also, the Heretic II
demo playes on NetBSD, so I assume that the commercial release does as
well.

On the other hand, showing him that it can, with some effort, run a
handful of the sorts of games he can drop into a BillOS box may not be
terribly compelling.  Unless you just want to reassure him that diving
into UNIX doesn't mean totally giving up familiar games.  (^&

As for NetBSD-native quake.x11 running or not running: Your Quake output
showed /dev/audio couldn't be opened.  Is it possible that you don't
*have* /dev/audio?  Or that something else has it open already?  If you
are sure that you have it and that nothing else is using it, then maybe
your hardware isn't fully supported (or can't do what NetBSD needs in
order to fullfill Quake's needs).

(You mention KDE; if you are running with KDE, you might try ditching KDE
and trying a lightweight window manager like twm (ships with the base OS).
I don't know if KDE holds /dev/audio open for its own use while running,
but it's possible.)

I can say that it definitely runs for me, though.