Subject: Re: pkgsrc on Darwin/MacOSX
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/06/2002 14:32:53
"slice" is, as far as I know, an evil brought on us from
the PC world.  fdisk "partitions" meant that word was used
already.

In the real unix world (BSD on a PDP or Vax up to workstations
that console via a serial by default as god intended),
you have a disk.  It can have partitions - usually up to
8, sometimes now 16 (openbsd) or 100 (solaris 9).  With
250GB disks, 8 (really 6) is too few.  Esp when veritas
wants another 2 or 3.

Afaik, Mac follows the Right way:  You take a disk and
can make many partitions.  UFS, HFS, whatever.

I haven't really used the MacOS automounter, but the fstab
equivalent (NeXTStep is mutant in that regard), but it should
be pretty straightforward.

It would be helpful if apple actually had the man pages that
covered the files and commands in use.  Quite annoying, given
that BSD man pages are usually outstanding:
  if there's a file (or a map), there's a man page.

Quoting Brad Volz (bradv@affectation.org):