Subject: Can't get DHCP client to work
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Philip=20Christian?= <philipchristian2003@yahoo.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/06/2002 17:50:35
I am running NetBSD 1.6 i386 on a laptop
it has a Xircom creditcard 10/100 + 56k

When the machine boots it detects the card as a xircom
realport which isn't quite right (I thought that
realport was a different product to the creditcard),
however I don't think that this is the problem as I
can manually ifconfig an IP address into the PC and
get the IP stack working that way.

I have an empty /etc/dhclient.conf and in /etc/rc.conf
I put

   dhclient=YES
   dhclient_flags="xi0"

I have also tried putting stuff in /etc/dhclient in
line with the DHCP howto but the result is always the
same.

upon boot I see this appear multiple times

   DHCPREQUEST on xi0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
interval n (n varies)
   xi0: device timeout

Also, if I get the IP stack working (manually) and
then enter "dhclient" command then I get

   localhost# dhclient xi0
   Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client V3.0rc10
   Copyright 1995-2001 Internet Software Consortium.
   All rights reserved.
   For info, please visit
http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

   Listening on BPF/xi0/00:80:c7:d8:02:6b
   Sending on   BPF/xi0/00:80:c7:d8:02:6b
   Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
   Please make sure there is no other dhcp server
   running and that there's no entry for dhcp or
   bootp in /etc/inetd.conf.   Also make sure you
   are not running HP JetAdmin software, which
   includes a bootp server.

I also tried bringing the interface down then up
before running dhclient, same result.

Can anyone help ?

By the way I'm fairly new to Unix and NetBSD...

Thanks, Philip