Subject: RE: Detecting a closed circuit
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Rose, Brian <Brian.Rose@icn.siemens.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/06/2002 04:27:38
DTR is the Data Terminal Ready signal. Some telecom equipment use the
acronym DTR to mean DialTone and Ringing. This is a circuit that provides
the dialtone and ringing signals over an analog phone line.

This is not a function of an RS-232 port. There are no tones on RS-232
lines. Just binary signals.