Subject: Re: Detecting a closed circuit
To: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/05/2002 12:11:00
>The UPS in our machine room provides a pair of wires which are an open
>circuit when on line power and a closed circuit when on battery power.  I'd
>like to detect this on a NetBSD/i386 box so sysadmins can be notified via
>pager when we go onto UPS.  I'd prefer if it could be detected on two
>different boxes for failover, but one box would work.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions for how this could be done?

off the top of my head (upon which i am not wearing any sort of
electrical engineering hat), i'd say that the closed circuit could be
used to drive a relay that would connect the...uh...ctr line to the
dcd line on a serial port.  or something like that.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."