Subject: pkgsrc on Darwin/MacOSX
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brad Volz <bradv@affectation.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/04/2002 00:58:50
I have been looking over the instructions for setting up pkgsrc on
MacOSX, but I am not certain that I understand the (re)partitioning
requirements.

README.Darwin contains step by step instructions for creating a UFS
disk image, which I understand.  However, it also implies that the
disk image will not be able to be mounted automatically at boot time.
This seems somewhat suboptimal, but as I read on in README.MacOSX,
there is a technique described to make a UFS partition visible to the
automounter.

The bit that has me confused is the reference to "partition."  I am
not sure if partition is in reference to the UFS disk image that is
described in README.Darwin, or if partition is actually a seperate
"slice" ( I believe that is the correct terminology ) that would need
to be carved out from the existing one that covers the entire disk.

$ df -k
Filesystem              1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/disk0s5             29299544  6728920 22314624    23%    /

Any clarification would be most appreciated.

Brad