Subject: Re: Partitions and Ramdisks
To: Jeff Flowers <jeffrey@jeffreyf.net>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2002.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/03/2002 10:04:31
Quoting Jeff Flowers (jeffrey@jeffreyf.net):
> Which paritions in NetBSD need to be mounted read-write (rw)? I
> believe that /var and /tmp have to be mounted that way but is there
> anything else?

You would get useful answers if you included information
like what you hope to achieve.

/var, /tmp, maybe /home.
/dev is tickled to be written to, mostly on login.
If you never log in via a shell as non-root, that's moot (ie.
you use web based management tools).

Best thing it to just try it and have another disk to boot from
(easy on my Sun:  "boot disk2" is my test disk).

> Also, are Ramdisks supported with the generic kernel?
You could just look in GENERIC on your platform.