Subject: Re: Mail server questions.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Keith Mastin <kmastin@beechtree.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/03/2002 08:50:56
>Another note on the Postfix-vs-qmail discussion. Qmail has *lots* of
>user support in the way of active mailing lists, a very readable book
>(and at least one other on the way), and a few support sites. Postfix
>doesn't seem to have much support at all. I like support, but I don't
>care for djb's restrictions that prevent a single, easy qmail
>distribution.
>
>And, yes, I'm still trying to decide between the two of them as well...

Richard Blum: Running Postfix
postfix-users@postfix.org

What's not supported?

I've been on the qmail and the postfix lists for quite some time, and
there are differences: In qmail, one *_must_* show unedited output of
various commands in order to get support. In Postfix, one can email Wietse
Venema or Ralf Hildebrandt directly to get specific support for new
problems. The qmail list supports only the Dave Sills version of
installation. The Postfix list also supports .deb, pkgsrc and .rpm
installs. Postfix is easier to understand and configure, qmail has more
features (vadmin, vpopmail, etc.).

If all you've ever run is sendmail, Postfix is an easier, faster solution.
If you have a lot of special needs, then go with qmail. (just a
suggestion)