Subject: Re: xinetd port (Was Re: Mail server questions.)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: None <netbsd99@sudog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/02/2002 15:42:27
On Monday 02 December 2002 10:03, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, CEBKA wrote:
>
> > Under *nix you can also use server
> > tunnels  for  clients ,  that    support  ssl  for  example  the
> > configuration for xinetd(where ipop3d is your pop3 server):
>
> Just curious: have you ported xinetd to NetBSD?
>
> If so, can you provide a pkgsrc entry for it?

xinetd is evil. It doesn't do the right thing when forking off daemons. stderr
ends up being mapped to the socket--if the application isn't designed with
xinetd's handling of stderr in mind, a single error message can disrupt
protocols in a very messy fashion. :-)

..  err ..  I forget: does inetd do this too?

Also, xinetd is unecessarily complex to configure.

IMHO.