Subject: Re: Mail server questions.
To: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
From: None <netbsd99@sudog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/02/2002 15:37:19
On Monday 02 December 2002 08:38, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Another note on the Postfix-vs-qmail discussion. Qmail has *lots* of
> user support in the way of active mailing lists, a very readable book
> (and at least one other on the way), and a few support sites. Postfix
> doesn't seem to have much support at all. I like support, but I don't
> care for djb's restrictions that prevent a single, easy qmail
> distribution.
>
> And, yes, I'm still trying to decide between the two of them as well...

If you're looking to be able to recover the majority of your mqueue from a
hosed system, or eventually will attempt to seamlessly move your mail system
over to a new machine (for example), forget about qmail. It stores its queue
(or it used to--has it been fixed yet?) in inode-related filenames which
won't work if you try to copy them over to the new machine. Qmail is a
nightmare in a large mail setting with backup MXen and a line of failover
machines. Just a large, scary nightmare.

postfix--don't know anything about it.

But what's the problem with sendmail again? When was the last bug found in it,
anyway?