Subject: Re: Mail server questions.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: dreamwvr@dreamwvr.com <dreamwvr@dreamwvr.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/02/2002 12:32:05
On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:27:24PM -0500, Eric Gillespie wrote:
> Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu> writes:
>
> > --On 12/02/02 01:15:42 -0500 Eric Gillespie wrote:
> Sorry, you are wrong.  Forget NFS and assume ideal mbox
> conditions.  When any failure occurs (machine crash, power loss,
> filesystem full), a message ends up truncated.  The corruption
> comes in if a message is truncated in the middle of the line.
> Then, when the failure condition is corrected, the message is
> delivered again.  Delivery to a maildir, on the other hand, is
> atomic.  Maildir is immune to the reliability problems of mbox.
The above is the reasone that /Maildir was created to address.
Downside of Maildir is that there are not that many pop or imap
servers that read Maildir currently. The only one I am aware of
and I have used extensively is Courier-Imap. Other than that
AFAIK there are no choices. Which is sort of like no options.
> > Maildir is not supported by many mail clients and it suffers
> > from the standard one-file-per-message, no-header-database
> > problems (same as MH format).  I don't care for it, but your
> > mailbox format will be driven by both your programs and your
> > needs; it may work for you.
This really doesn't matter as the importance is in the POP
IMAP server component. This must_understand_maildir_format.
This leaves to limited choices. Whereas with mbox and Mailbox
the o.ptions are much broader. This does not make it a better
format however. Just more popular.
> > I'd caution against the Courier IMAP server; it disobeys the
> > IMAP RFCs in subtle ways, and the author loudly claims that the
> > problems are in the RFCs not in his program.  But it works with
> > most IMAP clients, and many people seem happy with it.
The one downside of Courier-Imap is in the debugging department.
It is far from verbose. This may have changed since I ever had
to debug it. Now OT does anyone know if NetBSD will work on the
Zaurus?

TIA
Best Regards,
dreamwvr@dreamwvr.com

--
/*  Security is a work in progress - dreamwvr                 */
#